Are you a baseball card collector? If so, you may be sitting on a gold mine. Some of these cards are worth thousands of dollars.
One of the most desirable cards is of Jackie Robinson. Just how much are these cards worth? Find out here.
Who Is Jackie Robinson?
Jackie Robinson was born on April 15, 1919. He played baseball from 1947 until his retirement in 1956. His number 42 jersey has become synonymous with sports history.
In 1962, he joined the Baseball Hall of Fame. Robinson is also famous for breaking Major League Baseball’s color barrier by becoming the first African American to play in the major leagues.
He broke this barrier when he signed a contract with the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947. Thus, he represents a major change in American sports.
He died in 1972, having made a major impact on America’s Civil Rights Movement.
How Much Could The Card Be Worth?
The National Baseball Hall of Fame & Museum in Cooperstown, New York, claims that there are not many of these cards still in existence.
They are considered rare because they were printed during the height of Robinson’s career.
The value will depend on which card you are selling. There are lots of different types of Robinson cards out there.
For example, the 1953 Topps Jackie Robinson baseball card #1 has been estimated at around $5,000. Of course, this is subject to numerous factors, which are discussed below.
Meanwhile, the 1952 Bowman Jackie Robinson card has an estimate of between $1,500 and $2,000. This is due to its scarcity.
The card was only issued once, and in a limited run of 100 cards. Making it very valuable.
However, this means that they are hard to come by. If you do manage to get your hands on one of these cards in good condition then it would be a great hold.
What Makes These Cards So Valuable?
There are several reasons why these cards are so valuable. First, they represent a major event in sports history.
Robinson changed the way that black athletes were perceived. As a black player, he made a significant contribution to the Civil Rights Movement.
Second, these cards are extremely scarce. Most of the Jackie Robinson cards are uncommon and old. Finally, they are highly collectible. There is clearly a demand for these sports cards.
What Factors Will Impact Its Value?
Though a card featuring this player will likely be worth a huge amount of money, you should bear in mind that some factors can affect the value of the card. These include:
- The condition of the card – A good quality card could have more value than one that is worn or damaged. Because of this, you should aim to keep your card in the best condition possible.
- The rarity of the card – This refers to whether it is an extremely common card or a very rare card. For example, if the card was issued as part of a set, then it would be less valuable than a single card. Really common cards do not tend to be very valuable. After all, they will be super easy to get a hold of.
- How old the card is – Older cards tend to have more value than newer ones. This is because they are viewed as “vintage.” Plus, they tend to be rarer than modern cards, which are more mass-produced. As a result, modern cards do not make a lot of money.
- What team the player plays for – Some teams have a larger fanbase than others. As a result, some collectors will be willing to pay more money than others to complete their collection.
- Who the player is – Players who are better known and more popular will command higher prices. However, this isn’t really an issue if you have a Jackie Robinson card. After all, he is one of the most famous MLB players. As a consequence, he will be considered sought-after.
- Where the card was sold – You should consider where you bought your card. If it was bought at auction, then it will probably fetch a high price. The selling avenue that you use can alter its price. After all, some sites will have a larger audience than others.
Where Can I Sell My Jackie Robinson Baseball Card?
Luckily, there are lots of options for selling the card. You can sell it online through eBay, Amazon, or other websites. Or, you can take it to a local card shop.
Antique shops may be willing to purchase the card if it is quite old. Another option is to sell your card at auction.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Sell My Jackie Robinson Baseball Card?
Yes! It’s perfectly legal to sell your own baseball card. In fact, many people do just that. However, there are a few things you need to know before you decide to put your card up for sale.
First, you must make sure that the card has no counterfeit markings on it. Counterfeit cards are not considered valuable, as they are not legitimate.
Moreover, you should consider getting your card valued by a professional. This will give you an accurate indication of how much the card is worth.
Lastly, you must think about where you are going to sell the card. You can either sell them at auctions or online using sites such as eBay.
What Is A Rookie Card?
A rookie card is a baseball card that features a player who has yet to play professionally. They are often used to promote new players.
As a result of this, rookies are usually quite cheap. However, you may find a few exceptions. Jackie Robinson’s rookie card is quite valuable.
Having become an incredibly famous player, it marks an important stage in his history.
You can easily earn thousands of dollars from selling your own baseball card. This will especially be the case if the card features Jackie Robinson.
However, you need to take care when selling cards. Otherwise, you could lose out on some money.
- Bo Jackson Rookie Cards for savvy collectors - March 19, 2023
- Bo Bichette Baseball Rookie Cards - March 11, 2023
- Great Value baseball cards from the 60’s under $500 - March 4, 2023